Our principal, Aileen Keogan, a Solicitor and an AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA), is an experienced private client taxation lawyer focusing her practice in this specific area for since 1993.
Aileen has gained domestic and international recognition for her expertise and her personable, practical and effective style in advising a range of private clients. A key feature of Aileen’s service is her willingness to collaborate closely with her clients’ other advisers to ensure an integrated approach for each client’s needs, both commercial and personal.
Aileen operates in an organised, efficient and direct manner with a natural capacity to build relationships. Aileen’s experience is complemented by a high level of professional know how and practical expertise in all areas of taxation, trusts and private client services law and regulation. She has the proven ability to understand the business, commercial and family needs of clients.
Aileen has particular experience from an international perspective in dealing with cross border succession and taxation issues. She has acted as an expert witness in areas of taxation and private client succession issues. She has also been involved in many practical submissions through representative bodies and direct to Revenue and Governmental Departments in relation to capital tax matters, to Governmental Departments in relation to succession issues, to Governmental Departments in relation to Anti-Money Laundering issues as they relate to estates and trusts and to the Law Reform Commission in relation to trust and succession issues.
Aileen Keogan holds a Law Degree from University College Dublin, is regulated as a Solicitor by the Law Society of Ireland and is an AITI Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) with the Irish Taxation Institute. She obtained a distinction in the internationally recognised Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes through STEP International. Aileen was a founding member of both the Irish branch of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Solicitors for the Elderly in Ireland. She has been a member of Law Society Committees (Taxation from 1995 to 2008 and Probate Administration and Trusts from 2008 to date) and joined STEP Ireland's committee in December 2013. Aileen was elected as Council Member to the governing body of the Irish Tax Institute in summer 2018. She has represented the Law Society for many years on the TALC (Tax Advisory Liaison Committee) subcommittee on Capital and Direct Taxes.
Career to Date
Aileen’s career experience, extending to over 25 years, has been at a senior level in a number of the top professional services firms in Dublin before she set up her own practice in 2009. After studying Law in University College, Dublin, Aileen commenced her practice in A&L Goodbody, private client department. She moved to become a partner in the specialist tax firm of Warren & Partners and from there to join McCann FitzGerald’s private client team. In addition to her practice in estate tax planning, she also has considerable experience in the property sector in particular in relation to taxation and asset protection issues surrounding structuring at the time as the sector developed in Ireland in the period 2000 to 2006 and indeed afterwards in the context of asset protection structures.
Aileen opened the firm Aileen Keogan Solicitor & Tax Consultant in 2009 as a boutique private client law and taxation firm aimed at assisting clients and advisers to clients on all legal and taxation issues pertaining to succession. Over the years of this practice, she has advised many clients direct on succession issues, particularly trust and cross border legal and taxation issues. She has also particularly focused on assisting general practice solicitors, accountants and other advisers in their advice to their clients on probate, capital taxation and succession issues.
Author & Lecturer
Aileen is a highly respected author who contributes regularly at professional and educational forums.
- Co-author of The Law & Taxation of Trusts Keogan, Mee and Wylie, Tottels 2007.
- Editor since 2010 of the Irish Taxation Institute's annual publication on the Law of Capital Acquisitions Tax now published with the Law of Stamp Duties as a consolidated book.
- Contributor of Wills precedents for Laffoy's Irish Conveyancing Precedents since 2010.
- Member of the Law Society’s Probate, Administration and Taxation Committee, and previously their Taxation Committee for a number of years.
- Representative of Law Society on Taxation Advisory Liaison Committee (TALC) capital taxes allowing liaison direct with Revenue in clarifying and reforming taxation legislation.
- Member of committee of STEP Ireland since December 2013 including coordinating submissions on a national and international level in the areas of private client through this committee.
- Contributor through lecturing, tutoring and drafting, to the student and CPD programmes of the Law Society of Ireland, the Irish Taxation Institute and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
- Author of articles on estate planning to publications such as the Law Society Gazette, the Irish Tax Review, Getting the Deal Through, IFC Review, Business & Finance, the Irish Times and the Sunday Business Post and was awarded the Article of the Year Award 2010 by the Irish Tax Institute.
List of awards to date
- Cross Border Private Client Tax Adviser of the Year in Ireland – Global Advisory Experts
- Winner Women in Law Awards – Lawyer Monthly Magazine 2019
- Winner of the Article of the Year Award - Irish Tax Institute
- Cross Border Private Client Tax Adviser of the Year Ireland – Corporate INTL
- Sustained Excellence in Tax Consulting Services Ireland – G Business Insight
- Capital Taxes Advisory Firm of the Year Ireland – Finance Monthly
- Contentious Trusts and Estates – Finance Monthly
- Rural family business and agriculture – Lawyer of the Year – Finance Monthly
- Tax Law Lawyer of the Year – Ireland – Finance Monthly
- Ranked Lawyer in Chambers HNW 2018
- Philanthropy Solicitor of the Year Ireland – Finance Monthly
- ‘Solicitor of the Year’ Shortlisted - Finance Monthly
- Elected as Council Member to Irish Tax Institute
- ‘Most Influential Woman in Tax Advisory Services, Ireland’ - Acquisition International
- ‘Most Influential Woman in Tax Advisory Services, Ireland’ - Finance Monthly
- ‘Private Client Lawyer of the Year, Ireland’ shortlisted - Lawyer Monthly
- ‘Solicitor of the Year, Ireland, Family Business’ – Lawyer Monthly
- 'Article of the Year Award' – Norman Bale Award, Irish Tax Institute
- ‘Peer Selection Listing’ - practice area Trusts and Estates - The Best Lawyers in Ireland.
- ‘Boutique Estate Planning Advisory Firm of the Year – Ireland’ - Corporate Livewire Finance.
- ‘Tax Consultant of the Year – Ireland’ - Acquisition International Magazine.
- ‘Cross Border Estates Advisory Firm of the Year - Ireland’ - Corporate International.
- ‘Best for Wills and Estate Planning’ - Acquisition International. 2016
- ‘Best in Capital Tax Planning’ – Corporate Livewire.
- ‘Cross Border Estates Advisory Firm of the Year in Ireland’ – winner - Corporate International.
- ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in the practice area of Trusts and Estates - Best Lawyers.
- ‘National Expert’ Getting the Deal Through
- ‘Capital Tax Planning Law Team of the Year – Ireland’ - Acquisition-INTL
- ‘Cross Border Estates Advisory Firm of the Year in Ireland’ - Corporate International Magazine Global Award:
- ‘Boutique Firm of the Year 2012/13 (Ireland and UK)’ - Short listed by STEP.
- ‘Article of the Year Award’- Irish Tax Institute